Friday, October 21, 2005

Never Eat Alone, by Keith Ferrazzi

Never Eat Alone, by Keith Ferrazzi

Networking is not something I enjoy. I understand the importance of it, but hate what I feel is the forced nature of conversation. I don’t consider myself to be shy, but neither am I the guy that announces his presence with a yell when he walks into the room. I’m the guy in the back of the lecture hall making snide remarks about the fools asking questions to hear themselves talk. While I like my coworkers, I prefer to eat lunch by myself with a good book to simply get away from the office. I’d rather be at a bar with my friends than at a happy hour passing out business cards. Networking is not my thing.

I picked up this book because I hoped it would help me change my attitude. Didn’t help much. There was some good stuff in here, I admit: making introductions between my friends that might enjoy / benefit from each others company and then stepping out of the way, for instance, is something I’ve been trying to do. Unfortunately, the general tone of the book reminded me of the self-centered idiot that won’t shut up about his accomplishments sitting next to you on the red-eye. I hate that guy.

Is this a good book? Probably. Did I enjoy reading it? No.

First Sentence:
“How on earth did I get in here?”

No comments:

Search This Blog