Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Armada, by Ernest Cline

Armada, by Ernest Cline

Despite having basically the same plot as the excellent Ready Player One (video game playing awkward teen stumbles into a massive intrigue, meets and falls for a beautiful ingĂ©nue, and then becomes the hero of the world) I couldn't put this book down, and in fact read it in one sitting! Cline fills it with not only references to classic video games and science fiction movies, but manages to make them seem fresh rather than derivative. The basic plot closely resembles The Last Starfighter, but instead of being ignored Cline embraces this (and all alien invasion tropes) by saying that these exist to prepare the populace for the reality of extraterrestrials. I love that he also tosses in other pop culture references to movies like Firefox and Red Dawn but doesn't explain them—either you get them or you don't. I'm sure I didn't get them all, but I liked the instant memories the ones I did brought to mind. I haven't met anyone that didn't like this book, from my fellow 1980's kids to my own kids!

First Sentence:
I was staring out the classroom window and daydreaming of adventure when I spotted the flying saucer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have seen a lot of review but yours is the first to include the first line of the book. I think that is pretty clever.
Dear , Michael

My name is Benjamin, author of The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty,

I am emailing you because I believe The Library and its dedicated readers would be interested in learning more The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty. I would be honored if you would consider my book for review.

By way of a back cover summary, The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty There is mystery coming from Mr. Omelet’s house! First, he receives a big, stranger box with “DANGER” written on the side. Then scary sounds come from his house in the middle of the night. Could he have something very frightening like a monster in his house? Eggden’s brother, Boil, certainly thinks so. Humpty Dumpty and Eggden need to find out what is going on. Is there a monster, or are things not what they seem to be?

To learn much more about me as an author, please see my full profile here: https://storiad.com/members/bjessieb2/projects/?share=A5750AE7,

For a fun and quick way to get to know lots more about The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty, please see my ePressKit https://storiad.com/epresskits/the-monster-next-door-the-adventures-of-kid-humpty-dumpty/

You can easily find excerpts of The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty on my ePressKit, as well as request a review copy in the format of your choice.

Please feel free to drop me a line with any thoughts or questions you might have. You can contact me directly at bjessieb2@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

All the best,

Benjamin Boyd

Search This Blog