Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dragonheart, by Todd McCaffrey

Dragonheart, by Todd McCaffrey

As much as I love Pern, these most recent books simply aren’t as much fun as the originals. The plot is a rehash of Dragonsblood; in fact, it had been so long since I’d read Dragonsblood that more than once I suspected I was rereading that book instead of this one for the first time. The two main characters were kids, 13 and 10, and yet running an entire weyr without really being questioned by adults. In an environment like Pern responsibility obviously skews much younger, but the only reason I can fathom to make the characters this young is to appeal to readers of the same age. Of course I read my first Dragonrider novel when I was roughly that age, so maybe calling these childish isn’t quite fair. I suspect that I’d still enjoy those earlier books today, though.

First Sentence:
“...and you wouldn’t believe how many holders they’ve saved over the last ten Turns,” Benden Weyrleader M’tal said, continuing to press his case for the watch-whers.

No comments:

Search This Blog