Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Heir Apparent, by Vivian Vande Velde

Heir Apparent, by Vivian Vande Velde

My mother gave this book to my son as a gift and he liked it enough that he wanted me to read it as well. I'm glad he wanted to share it with me and can see what he liked about it, although it wasn't exactly to my liking. Set in a near future where immersive virtual reality games exist, a fourteen year old girl named Giannine gets trapped in an artificial fantasy world where she has to solve the game or die in the real world. When the heroine makes mistakes she can reset the game and start again; while it allows Giannine to learn and grow it makes for a very repetitive read. I enjoyed sharing this with my son, but it is way too simplistic for my tastes—even for a book aimed at kids.

First Sentence:
It was my fourteenth birthday, and I was arguing with a bus.

3 comments:

Irene Jennings said...

The main story is standard fantasy, with the main character trying to play her way through a game until she finishes it. I loved the book for the setup: an overzealous group against fantasy and games tries to destroy the computer system, thereby endangering the main character's life. Pointed.
Best Canada Baby Gift Baskets information

Places to Hangout in Gurgaon said...

Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

Have you viewed Glendale Movers Service said...

"Heir Apparent" is a timely book looking forward to what video games might one day be while also reminding readers that there's no harm in a good game--as long as overzealous protesters don't get in the way at least.

Search This Blog