Saturday, October 13, 2007

Back Story, by Robert B. Parker

Back Story, by Robert K. Parker

I’ve mentioned Spenser before; he is one of my favorite gumshoes. It has been a long time since I’d read one so when I spotted this at the library I nabbed it. All of the Spenser books are fun, and this one is no exception. The formula is intact (start with a simple case, mix in the mob as things get more complicated, several attempts on our heroes life, and finally a happy ending) and while predictable it is still a great read.

Besides Spenser, Parker also writes novels starring a sheriff named Jesse Stone (played by Tom Selleck in the made-for-tv movies). In Back Story, Spenser and Jesse meet and even work together a bit. Again, predictable but fun! I always have the images of Robert Urich and Avery Brooks (Spenser and Hawk respectively, from Spenser For Hire) when reading Spenser; adding Selleck to the vistas in my head was only natural. I’d forgotten how much I liked these characters; I won’t wait this long before visiting again.

First Sentence:
It was a late May morning in Boston.

No comments:

Search This Blog