Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Burglar on the Prowl, by Lawrence Block

The Burglar on the Prowl, by Lawrence Block

Bernie Rhodenbarr, the most honest burglar you’ll ever meet, is as amusing here as ever. As with the other Bernie books I wouldn’t call this a well-crafted mystery, but I will call it a lot of fun. The ending comes complete with the hero bringing every single character in the story together in the same room and demonstrating exactly what happened and how each one was involved. Think Clouseau without the slapstick. In the earlier volumes I found the many coincidences hard to swallow, but now I see them for the parodies of the genre they are. These are fun books and I’ll certainly read more.

First Sentence:
“The man,” said my friend Marty Gilmartin, “is an absolute ... a complete ... an utter and total ...”

No comments:

Search This Blog