Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Art of War, by Sun Tzu

The Art of War, by Sun Tzu

I don’t normally look at the world as a series of battles to be fought or foes to vanquish. (Some people do, and in general they drive me nuts.) That said, a lot of what Sun Tzu says does dovetail with my general outlook. “Now a soldier’s spirit is keenest in the morning; ... and in the evening, his mind is bent only on returning to camp.” I’m a firm believer that a normal work-week (40-50 hours) is much more healthy and productive than seven day, 80 hour weeks. “When ... orders are not clear and distinct; when there are no fixed duties assigned ... the result is utter disorganization.” Seems pretty straightforward to me, but I’m constantly surprised at supervisors that don’t work this way. I’m not arrogant enough to believe that I’m the best manager ever, but I do hope I live up to some of these ideals.

I know I’m not the first person to read The Art of War and find things I can use in my everyday life. “Ponder and deliberate before you make a move.” I’ll try and remember that next time I want to shoot off a smart-ass reply to an email. :) Good stuff.

First Sentence:
1. Sun Tzu said: The art of war is of vital importance to the State.

No comments:

Search This Blog