Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Crossing the Chasm, by Geoffrey A. Moore

Crossing the Chasm, by Geoffrey A. Moore

Interesting book. It is split into two parts: the first details the technology adoption curve and the places a company can get stuck, and the second outlines a strategy for a successful avoidance of the pitfalls. I was familiar with the basic concepts here from various presentations and speeches I’ve attended, but hadn’t read the source material. Part one found very compelling; I could see exactly where most of the products on which I’ve worked fell on the adoption curve and in several cases why they stalled. Part two was still interesting, but less applicable as I’m not a marketing guy and that is the main focus of this section. More and more references to the Chasm Group consulting services appear as the book winds down, too, making it less a reference text and more of an advertisement. Despite a weak finish, I’d recommend this book to anyone in the high-tech industry; if nothing else it gives a common vocabulary for discussion about product adoption in much the same way The Innovator’s Dilemma did for disruptive technologies.

First Sentence:
There is a line from a song in the musical A Chorus Line: “If Troy Donahue can be a movie star, then I can be a movie star.”

No comments:

Search This Blog